Music Theory Courses that Really Help!
♫ Learn Online for Free ♫ Get Rapid Feedback ♫ Make Rapid Progress ♫ Transform your Skills! ♫
Music theory is a remarkably addictive and fascinating subject that can change the way you listen to or perform music - forever!
Learning music theory on your own can be daunting though - you need a helping hand from time-to-time, you need concrete examples, and you need to be able to ask questions... that's where MyMusicTheory.com comes in!
My name is Victoria Williams and I'm here to help you learn music theory!
In 2007 I began this website as a free, intermediate music theory resource. Over the years the site has grown and grown, and is now a place where you can take a music theory course at a level which suits you - from beginner level up to advanced.
And if you get stuck, you can ask me for help (use the comment boxes on every lesson page) and I'll get back to you ASAP! I have a degree in Music from the University of Leeds in the UK, where I specialised in musicology.
We use a structured approach, with lessons based on the traditional curriculum set out by the Royal Schools of Music in the UK.
We divide music theory into eight levels (called "grades"), so that you can easily begin to study at a level which is right for you, and you'll make excellent progress by increasing your music theory skills in logical, easily digestible steps. There is a complete online music theory course for each grade, and, it's free!
Take a Structured Music Theory Course
- Grade 1 Course - Beginner. Learn the basic notes in the treble and bass clefs, major scales and three easy time signatures
- Grade 2 Course - Minor scales, four more time signatures, triplets and more major scales
- Grade 3 Course - Harder time signatures, keys & scales, transposing, intervals
- Grade 4 Course - Harder time signatures, keys & scales, the alto (viola) clef, chromatic scales, simple chords, ornaments
- Grade 5 Course - The hardest keys and scales, irregular time signatures, the tenor clef, chords and inversions, composing a melody, simple harmonisation, cadences
- Grade 6 Course - Harmonization, figured bass, diatonic chords, orchestral and chamber music scores, composition with modulation, Bach chorale style
- Grade 7 Course - Harmony and figured bass with added 7th chords, common chromatic chords, composition with accompaniment, melodic decoration with harmonic structure
- Grade 8 Course - Harmony and figured bass, Trio sonata style, composing for keyboard, compositional structure and other techniques, rarer chromatic chords, non-diatonic styles
(If you are not sure where to start, take the "What Grade am I?" quiz to find out the best starting place for you!)
Join over 16,000 others and become a member of the site, and we'll send you updates when new material is added to the site, exclusive discounts on paid courses and lots of other goodies!
How to Get the Most out of Your Music Theory Course
When you begin a music theory course on the website, you'll be guided step-by-step through the lessons. Each lesson is followed by a page of exercises, so that you can practice your new music theory skills straight away. If you need any help, just ask and I will come to the rescue!
You can do all the lessons and exercises from each course online, or you might prefer to print them off. All the courses are available to download as PDF files for a small fee, or you can even buy a printed version and have it delivered to your door!
In addition to the free online courses, I also run several video courses which cover specific topics in a lot more depth. The video courses cover subjects such as composition and figured bass, and have the added benefit that you can watch me as I explain, and see me doing things in real time. Most students find that it is easier to remember all the concepts of music theory when you approach the same topic from lots of different angles, so combining self-study with a video course is often a really effective solution.
If you need more in depth assistance you can all take a music theory course with me by email or a video-based couse. I run some specialist courses in harmony and exam revision courses, and can also mark any exercises you have done from any source.
Sign up as a member of the website, and I'll send you information about all of these courses and more!