Music Theory Lessons by Email
MyMusicTheory provides music theory services by email. There are many advantages to learning music theory via email -
- You work at your own pace
- You have a written record of everything explained by your teacher
- Since travel costs are not involved, the lessons are cheaper than visiting a teacher face-to-face
- We answer your questions quickly (usually within a day) - you don't have to wait until you next visit your teacher
- No cancellation fees
- Fit around your busy schedule
What We Can Do For You
- Mark past examination papers (ABRSM, Trinity, AMEB)
- Mark music theory exercises (from any source)
- Answer music theory related questions
- Give advice about the ABRSM theory exams, music theory books and plans of study
How it Works
- Email us with your requirements.
- We will do a quick assessment and write back to you, with an estimate of time/cost. (If your work is mostly correct, it will be very quick to mark. If there are a lot of mistakes it will take longer. Higher grades require more time than lower ones, and so on).
- If you accept this evaluation, you can use the PayPal button on this page to pay now. Minimum payment is £11 for 30 minutes.
- When the payment has been received, you can then send us your work by email as frequently as you wish.
- We will reply within 48 hours (excluding weekends). Usually we reply within 24 hours!
- You will need to be able to either photograph or scan your answers in order to attach them by email. JPG preferred.
- We will reply by email with marks, comments and advice (or just marks, if that's what you want), and let you know how many minutes have been used up. (We calculate to the nearest minute).
Please note: marking services by email are not currently available (current students notwithstanding). Apologies for the inconvenience. I anticipate taking new students in Aug/Sep 2016.
What We Don't Do
- We do not currently mark anything of a level higher than ABRSM grade 8.
- We do not currently mark GCSE Music, A/AS level Music or AP Music Theory work.
- We do not currently give Skype lessons, telephone lessons or lessons in person.
- We will never send out past examination papers or exercises from published books via email - please don't ask us to!
All marking is done by myself - Victoria Williams. I hold a BA (Hons) (2.1) in Music from the University of Leeds (1995).
I will always reply within 48 hours (Mon-Fri) and usually the response is the same day.
How Much Will it Cost?
We charge by the minute, £11 per 30 minutes, paid in advance. Every student's work is different, but these average costs can be a guide. The times here include detailed explanations. If you require marks only, it will be quicker.
- Complete past paper, grades 1-3: 5-15 minutes
- Complete past paper, grades 4-5: 10-20 minutes
- One question (harmony or composition) grades 6-8: 10-20 minutes
- Complete past paper, grades 6-8: 30-60 minutes
If you decide that the marking service is not up to your expectations, please let us know why and we will refund your payment.
We advise you to always handwrite your answers, because computer music processing software usually automatically corrects mistakes, aligns notes and so on.
We recommend sending in questions in ones or twos - this allows you to read and understand our comments before continuing.
If you send a large batch of questions to mark, we will normally mark only a few of them and then ask if you want us to continue or if you would like to resubmit your answers in the light of what you have learnt.
Students usually choose their own study materials. However, if you are not sure what level you are or what you need/want to study next, we can advise.
Read about others' experiences with MyMusicTheory here.
MyMusicTheory is owned by Real English Extra (Ltd.) You will see this business name on Paypal's pages.